Friday, October 16, 2009

♥ she's fashion roadkill!

no sooner had i uttered the words,
"i hope i am not fashion roadkill,"
that i sealed my fate for exactly that.



timothy, mickey and i arrive at the copley westin for the fashion show,
buzzing with excitement and butterflies for the evening's event.
i look at my fellow models, georgianna and natalie,
who are both in the process of doing their hair and makeup.
i see their costumes hanging, ready to be put on and
suddenly a lightbulb turned on in my brain,
a faroff voice whispered:

"...sami you left your corset top at work....."

oops!
shit! oh no!
so, i forgot to bring the top to my costume to the fashion show.
it was safe and sound in the showroom at work,
locked up in a building that i had no car and
no hope of making it to in time.

as self.fulfilling prophecies usually go,
this was a true fashion emergency!
and if it were not for the rescue of my
fashion fairygodmothers, timothy and mickey,
who worked diligently to put together a makeshift top for me,
i probably would have had a real fashion meltdown!

besides the case of the missing corset,
there really was no catwalk catfighting and the
"Fabuless" IIDA fashion show went off without a hitch!

timothy and i modelled for leslie saul & associates,
in costumes made by the lovely nichole carroll
entirely out of recycled materials that she procured from being in the business:
..shopping bags, tyvek house wrap, architectural trace paper,
painters tape and duct piping, oh my!

(natalie, timothy, georgianna & moi!)

timothy ( shown here with my sister jennie, her friend mark and mickey)
had a fabulous paper coat made from tyvek!

and i had a skirt made of one of the best accessories: shopping bags!
my look turned out to be very similar to the dior new look circa 1947,
love it!!


here are some shots of our catwalkin' competitors:


and here we are:
working it. owning it.
loving it!

so, while i may have started out the evening as fashion roadkill,
i also remembered another piece of sage advice
from ms. carrie bradshaw
and it is this:

"the best any of us can do is not quit,
play the hand we've been dealt
and accessorize what we've got."


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

5 ♥ love notes.:

  1. WOW!! I've been reading your blog for a few months now-and must be honest, never actually read your profile (or this probably would have been much less shocking) just enjoyed your posts...I am a designer in Boston and as a member of IIDA was at the show, and my firm had an entry! I actually squeezed past you and your fantastic skirt of bags backstage before the show! Small world!!! You had such a great presence on stage-and even if you didn't have your intended top, I wouldn't consider anyone fashion roadkill that night. Great job!! (and great blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for your kind words, morgan! do you ever come into schumacher? timothy (the male model in the tyvek coat) and i both work in the BDC! come visit i would love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is going to sound really lame, but I think I HAVE met you!! I was in the schumaker showroom a few weeks ago - I work at TRO JB. Such a small world-I was just thinking you looked familiar. :) I would love to get together-I'll see if I can get to the design center soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's exciting! i will probably recognize you then! please introduce yourself next time you come in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is useful and get the full of information here student making a best websites and that full of information here.
    two piece loungewear sets

    ReplyDelete

♥ tell me how you really feel!